The Banker's House

Historic Shelby Walking Tour

Historic Shelby Walking Tour

The Banker's House

Shelby, NC

This self-guided walking tour in Shelby highlights historic structures dating back to the 1850s which include Webbley, a national historic landmark and house of O. Max Gardner; a 1907 Classic Revival courthouse which now houses the Earl Scruggs Center: Music & Stories from the American South; the Cleveland County Arts Council located in a 1916 Classical Revival Post Office; Mason Square, a 1923 Egyptian-Revival mixed use office and apartment complex; and Lafayette Place, a commercial historic tax credit project.  Start and end on Uptown Shelby’s picturesque courtsquare.

For an extended tour, the last stops in this tour are “Beyond the Square”.  These are recommended as sites to drive or cycle to.  These include: Shelby City Part Carrousel and Rotary Train, Sunset Cemetery, The Banker’s House, Clyde R. Hoey House, McBrayer House, El Nido and The Blanton House.

Low Activity

1 day | 31 stops

Day 1

STOP 1: The (former) Cleveland County Court House

(ca 1907) Local Landmark and National Register of Historic Places
This Classical Revival court house highlighting the center of Uptown Shelby was designed by H.F. Newman. It now serves as the Earl Scruggs Center, Music & Stories from the American South. 103 S Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 2: The Well House

103 S. Lafayette St., Shelby
(ca 1890)
The Well House, located on the east side of the court square, was built by the county to house the fountain where citizens could get Lithia water that was piped in for citizens from Lithia Springs located north of Shelby. The building now serves as Guest Services and the Gift Shop for the Earl Scruggs Center.
103 S Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 3: Central United Methodist Church

103. S. Washington St., Shelby
(ca 1924)
Central United Methodist Church, constructed in 1924, is of Gothic Revival architecture and believed to have been designed by prominent Charlotte architects, Louis H. Asbury and J.M. McMichael. 103 S Washington St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 4: Rogers Theater Block

213 E. Marion St., Shelby
(ca 1930s)
Rogers Theater Block was constructed in the Art Deco style by R.H. Rogers, Sr. The largest movie house in Shelby was designed by noted theatrical architect Charles C. Benson. The balcony had a separate section for African Americans. Spaces adjacent to the Theater have been repurposed for businesses and apartments. 213 E Marion St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 5: Original City Hall & Fire Station

5 E. Marion St., Shelby
(ca 1909) Local Landmark
The original City Hall and Fire Station was built to house the first fire department and city hall for Shelby. A restaurant, Toscano's Bistro, now occupies the space. 5 E Marion St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 6: Sterchi's Building

14 W. Marion St., Shelby
(1939)
Sterchi's Building was designed by local architect V.W. Breeze in a restrained Art Modern motif to house the local franchise of Sterchi's Brothers (furniture) Stores, Inc. claiming at the time to be the world's largest furniture chain. 14 W Marion St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 7: Campbell Building

112 N. Lafayette St., Shelby
(1928) Local Landmark
Campbell Building* was the largest department store in Uptown Shelby and retains the original store plan of both the exterior and interior architecture. The building was rehabilitated between 2015 and 2018 and now houses Uptown Indigo, an event venue, and Greenbrook Design, a kitchen and bath design center. 112 N Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 8: First Baptist Church

120. N. Lafayette St., Shelby
(1911)
First Baptist Church is made of yellow brick in an exuberant version of the Gothic Revival Style. It replaced a previous church built in 1889. Additions made in the 1920's combine Art Deco and Gothic design features. 120 N Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 9: Cleveland Savings and Loan Building

131 N. Lafayette St., Shelby
(1962)
Cleveland Savings and Loan Building, now PNC Bank, is one of Cleveland County's best examples of International style, popular with corporate America after World War II. It was designed by Pegram Holland. 131 N Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 10: Washburn Brick Block

101-117 N. Lafayette St., Shelby
(1890-1920)
Washburn Brick Block is the only surviving, intact, commercial brick block built when brick buildings replaced wooden structures. 101-117 N Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 11: City Pavilion

126 W. Marion St., Shelby
(ca 2009)
The City of Shelby built this Pavilion for the use of its citizens. It serves as the site of the the twice-weekly Foothills Farmers' Market as well as a spot for outdoor events like Alive After Five, reunions and weddings. Future plans include trail access for the Rail Trail currently in planning stages. 126 W Marion St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 12: Kouri's Warehouse

200 W. Warren St., Shelby
(ca 1929)
Kouri's Warehouse was built adjacent to the railroad and major thoroughfares as a fruit and vegetable warehouse. It later served as the Farmers' Market and now has been converted into residential units. 200 W Warren St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 13: Trade Street Alley

227 S. Lafayette St., Shelby
(late 19th century)
Trade Street Alley, a warehouse with brick arches having had a variety of uses including the Blanton-Eskridge livery stable. It later served as a parts and service warehouse for Sears prior to 2000 when Uptown Shelby Association redeveloped the entire block. USA currently occupies one of the three distinctive storefronts. 227 S Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 14: Shelby Café

220 S. Lafayette St., Shelby
(ca 1924)
Shelby Café is a Shelby institution serving southern fare, including the local delicacy, liver mush. The distinctive neon sign reflects an Art Deco influence. 220 S Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 15: Hudson's

213 S. Lafayette St., Shelby
(1905-1909) Local Landmark
This sturdy brick building maintains its distinctive brickwork and window pattern from a 1946-1948 renovation when Hudson's Department Store opened for business. The current owners completely renovated it and it now is Shelby's first craft brewery, Newgrass Brewing Co. You will find many features true to the origins throughout the brewery. 213 S Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 16: Shelby City Hall

300 S. Washington St., Shelby
(1939)
This Georgian Revival brick building and former Firehouse was completed using WPA (Works Progress Administration ) funds. It was designed by Fred Van Wageningen and Pegram Holland of the V.W. Breeze firm. It features a distinctive cupola above the slate roof. 300 S Washington St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 17: The Don Gibson Theatre

318 S. Washington St., Shelby
(1939)
The Don Gibson Theatre opened as the State Theater and was transformed in 2009 into a premier performance venue and special event space centrally located between Charlotte and Asheville. The theater honors native son and noted singer/songwriter Don Gibson. 318 S Washington St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 18: Webbley

403 S. Washington St., Shelby
(ca 1852) Local Landmark and National Register of Historic Places
J.A. Anthony remodeled this 19th century vernacular house in the Neo-Classical Style. Judge James L. Webb occupied the house in 1911. His daughter, Fay, became the wife of Governor O. Max Gardner. She, along with her husband, entertained many national dignitaries there. Webbley is the county's only National Historic Landmark. 403 S Washington St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 19: Fullenwider-Ebeltoft House

323 S. Washington St., Shelby
(1850s)
The Fullenwider-Ebeltoft House was built in the 1850's by Swiss pioneer Eli Fullenwider, whose family was known for a successful iron works enterprise. The house was later owned and occupied by the T.W. Ebeltoft family. It is one of the few surviving antebellum structures in Shelby. 323 S Washington St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 20: The Masonic Temple

201 S. Washington St., Shelby
(1924) Local Landmark and National Register of Historic Places
The Masonic Temple, now known as Mason Square, is a prime example of Egyptian Revival architecture in North Carolina. The building housed the Masonic Lodge on the top floor, with various businesses located below. The building was renovated in the 1980s with professional offices on the first and second floors and residential units above. 201 S Washington St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 21: The Cleveland County Arts Council/ Annex

111 S. Washington St., Shelby
(1916) Local Landmark
This Colonial Revival structure was built as the US Post Office in 1916 and served as Shelby's post office until 1967. It presently houses the Cleveland County Arts Council with gallery space, classrooms, studio and offices. The Annex served as the law offices of federal judge E.Y. Webb. 111 S Washington St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 22: The Royster Building

10 E. Warren St., Shelby
(1910)
The Royster Building is a yellow brick, commercial building designed by J.M McMichael in the Colonial Revival Style. 10 E Warren St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 23: Hotel Charles & Bank Building

106 S. Lafayette St., Shelby
(ca 1890's)
The Hotel Charles & Bank Building is a 3 story building that originally housed the Central Hotel on the upper floors and First National Bank on the ground floor. The structure was damaged by fire in 1928 and rebuilt as the Charles Hotel which operated from 1929-1967. After the original structure was destroyed by a fire in 1928, it rebuilt with the hotel named Hotel Charles. The hotel operated from 1929-1967. Bank OZK now occupies the ground floor. 106 S Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 24: Shelby City Park Carrousel

850 W. Sumter St., Shelby
(ca 1919)
This Herschell-Spillman carrousel is one of a very few 'year round' carrousels still found in a traditional city park location. Twenty-nine original horses and three hand-carved replacements were restored in a joint effort of the City of Shelby and Shelby City Park Carrousel Friends, Inc. Along with thirty-two jumping horses, the Carrousel features twenty-eight colorful hand painted rounding boards and scenery panels. A period Carrousel Band Organ provides authentic music to complete the experience. 850 W Sumter St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 25: Rotary Special Train

850 W. Sumter St., Shelby
(1998)
Rotary Special Train: After the train at the City Park fell into despair, the City of Shelby, the Shelby Rotary Club and volunteer mechanics worked to restore the scale model train. The train, track and tunnel were restored in 2000 and the new Depot, including room for parties and picnics, was completed in 2001. 850 W Sumter St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 26: Sunset Cemetery

412 W. Sumter St., Shelby
(1841)
Sunset Cemetery brings about an awareness and understanding of the historical significance of the people buried here who made an impact on the city, the state and the nation. Musician and songwriter Don Gibson is buried here, as well as writers Thomas Dixon and W.J. Cash as well as many prominent citizens. During the fall, visitors enjoy the beautiful autumn colors of over 550 trees. 412 W Sumter St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 27: The Banker's House

319 N. Lafayette St., Shelby
(1874-1875) National Register of Historic Places
The Banker's House is a resplendent example of the Second Empire style design and one of the state's leading works in the popular Gilded Age Style. Jesse Jenkins, one of the state's early bankers, had this house built for his wife Hattie in the late 1870's. Mr. Jenkins was forced to sell the house at public auction. The property was acquired by banker H. Dekalb Lee who, in 1894, sold it to his business partner, Burwell Blanton, also a banker. The house remained in the Blanton Family for over 100 years when it was gifted to a local foundation with the intent to preserve the home for the community's use. 319 N Lafayette St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 28: Clyde R. Hoey House

602 W. Marion St., Shelby
(1920)
The Clyde R. Hoey House is a pre-fab stucco structure in the Colonial Revival style. Hoey served as North Carolina governor and later as US senator. Hoey lived in the house until his death in 1954. 602 W Marion St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 29: Dr. Victor McBrayer House

507 N. Morgan St. Shelby
(1893) National Register of Historic Places
The Dr. Victor McBrayer House was built by Dr. Victor McBrayer in 1893 and served as a residence for his descendants. It was later purchased by a local doctor who used the home for medical offices. It has recently been resold and is once again a private residence. Its architecture reflects the influence of several late 19th century styles: Italianate, Gothic Revival and Queen Anne. 507 N Morgan St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 30: El Nido

520 W. Warren St., Shelby
(1920-1921)
El Nido is a Spanish Mission-style bungalow designed from a house plan book produced by the Aurelius-Swanson Company out of Oklahoma City, OK. It was named El Nido ("the Nest"). There may be only one other house like El Nido left in the country. This property was donated to Preservation North Carolina which in turn, leased it to a preservation minded individual. 520 W Warren St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes

STOP 31: The Blanton House

303 W. Marion St., Shelby
(1880s-1928) Local Landmark
The Blanton House was originally a 1 1/2 story farm house and was acquired by George Blanton, Sr. from his brother in 1898 and remodeled to a brick Colonial Revival in 1928. The Blanton heirs donated it to Gardner-Webb University in 1981.
In 2019, it was sold to Caulder and Valentine Law Firm.
303 W Marion St, Shelby, NC, USA Length of Stop: 15 minutes